Thursday, January 13, 2011

1/12/11 Follow Up

Not much to report on this follow up. Don't run in Vibrams if you're planning on getting your feet wet when its cold out or when its snowy. My toes were numb by the end of my run. I would like to say, a few people asked me if my muscles "hurt" after running in my bikilas. The answer to that would be no, I simply just use more muscles and muscle groups, which in turn makes my muscles more tired....which in turn strengthens my muscles in the long run.  Just a comment, some people are very skeptical about these shoes because they lack "traditional" support. Once again I would like to clear this up. In "normal" running shoes, you run heel to toe, which allows most of the force to be distributed along the shin/quad area. However, in vibrams you run with a midfoot strike first, which allows the force to be directed into the calf, this allows the force to be distributed relatively harmlessly, while strengthening the calf. (Just as a side note I have noticed slightly more definition in this area). "Traditional" support is not needed because of the midfoot strike. However, Vibrams are not for everyone. Extreme cases of pronation, as well as serious running injuries would require an athlete to work into vibrams much more gradually. It just depends on the person.
This Video explains the midfoot strike....and for the record  I didn't actually listen to what the guy talking is saying. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itkEkcQ8WM&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment