Wednesday, December 29, 2010

3rd Run in Vibrams

I have to say, my weakness when I run is my respiratory system. I just can't seem to suck down enough air, especially when its cold outside. Getting back in shape really sucks, but its worth it in the end, and that thought is enough to keep me going (usually haha). That being said, my third run in vibrams was once again great for my muscular and skeletal systems but terrible for my breathing. I felt no pain at all as I ran, besides the occasional large rock I accidentally stepped on. It was a beautiful day for a run today, besides the fact that it was still a little cold for my taste. About 5 minutes in I was besieged by terrible cramps, probably brought on by the fact that I ate too close to my run. They stayed with me the entire time. That being said, I still covered 2.01 miles in 13:55, giving me a 6:57 mile pace, which is a little fast for a distance run. Usually you would want to stay away from anything under 7:00 unless you were on a tempo run. I mentioned earlier this week that I felt a small pain on the top of my foot when I ran. After doing some research I learned that having a pain there is a common problem for those people transitioning into minimalist footwear. It comes about by running too much on the toes and not enough on the ball/midfoot. The article I read cautioned against this, saying that it could lead to injury. So today I made a conscious effort to not run as much on my toes. The pain didn't return. I do have to say, I find myself running faster in these shoes then I normally would. Usually I don't run faster then a 7:25 pace on distance runs because of the combined fact of the respiratory and muscular pain. However, I have yet to feel any muscular pain on my runs. We'll see if this fact holds true as my runs increase in length. Sprinting work starts next week, maybe I'll run a few sets in the vibrams to see how they would hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment