Sunday, December 26, 2010

First run in Vibrams!

Just a bit of background information-
I have always been a high stability shoe guy, usually wearing asics gels, and in the past year the brooks adrenaline.
My first run in vibrams went really well-ok so it went well except for the first five minutes. Up to the five minute mark I had struggled to find my stride in the unfamiliar feel of these shoes, I was running flat footed, and landing heavily on my heel-it was painful, and I debated stopping. Then the pain stopped. I began adjusting to the shoe. I began to run more on my midfoot and my heel began lightly striking the ground instead of the pounding it had received in the first 5 minutes. My posture improved, I was running more upright than I did in my brooks. Also I noticed that I was taking shorter strides. Overall the run only lasted 1.92 miles. I covered this in 13 minutes and 50 seconds, leaving me at a 7:12 mile pace including my awful start. I felt like I could have kept going at this pace for at least 5 or 6 more miles. It was a completely different feel then running in traditional shoes. I could feel the ground as It changed beneath me. Today I ran on at least 3 different consistencies of grass that gave me various natural cushioning , 2 different types of asphalt, and 2 Different types of concrete. I now understand why all of my coaches told me to never run on concrete-it hurts, literally the only thing that keeps runners from getting their feet pounded off by their own stride is the advanced cushioning in their training shoes. Overall, it was definitely a positive experience, my shins and feet feel fine as of now, and the muscles and tendons in my feet feel GOOD. Vibrams definitely allow a more natural approach to running. Over the next few weeks I will be increasing the times of my runs by 5-7 minute increments every week. We'll see how they hold up over longer distances...say 6 or 7 miles. The link to my training schedule is on the right hand column of this page under the name "logarun"

No comments:

Post a Comment